Last Updated: May 2016
Mother’s Day is more than just a day for cards, chocolate, breakfast in bed, and reservations at crowded restaurants. Mother’s Day is a celebration that finds solid support in biblical principles and commands. While we’re not going to find any direct reference to “Mother’s Day,” we do find plenty of teaching on honoring mothers, revering them, and giving them generous love and recognition for the role they play in our lives.
Top 40 Bible Verses for Mother’s Day
As you prepare for your church’s mother’s day event, you’ll find all the Mother’s Day media you’ll need. Along with these important Bible Verses for Mother’s Day, you’ll also find beautiful visual accompaniments.Here are the top 40 Bible verses for Mother's Day. Click To Tweet
1. 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – Love is patient; love is kind. Love is not jealous; is not proud; is not conceited; does not act foolishly; is not selfish; is not easily provoked to anger; keeps no record of wrongs; takes no pleasure in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth; love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.
When it comes to the Bible’s most well-known passage on love, mothers are beautiful examples of the high calling of love that is described.
2. Philippians 4:8 – Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of a good report — if there is any virtue and if there is any praise — think on these things.
Moms are a source of honor, goodness, and loveliness. As in all things pure and virtuous, we are encouraged to think upon such things.
3. Ephesians 6:1-3 – Children, obey your parents in the Lord, because this is right. Honor your father and mother which is the first commandment with a promise – that it may go well with you and that you may have a long life.
In this well-known passage, children are exhorted to the task of honor. All of us — whether we are children or are raising them — should remember to give honor to mothers.
4. Psalms 128:1-2, 5-6 – How happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways! You will be happy, and it will go well for you…You…will see your children’s children.
This passage speaks to the joy and happiness of families who fear God and walk with him — eventually experiencing the blessing of grandchildren
5. Psalm 127:3 – Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD, and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
This classic passage on motherhood praises God as the giver of children, describing them as a heritage and reward from on high.
6. Isaiah 49:15 – Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb?
This passage praises mothers as symbols of amazing compassion, never forgetting their beloved children.
7. Psalm 139:13 – You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb
We praise God for the miracle of life, and the role that mothers have.
8. Isaiah 66:13 – As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.
God likens himself to a mother, bringing to mind the incredible comforting ability of a loving mother.
9. Ruth 1:16-17 – For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God.
Ruth, though a foreigner recently bereaved from her husband, declared her undying love for her mother.
10. Luke 1:46-48 – And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed
Mary, perhaps the most well-known mother in the Bible, made this statement when she learned that God had chosen her to bear the Christ child.
11. 1 Timothy 5:1-2 – Encourage…older women as mothers.
In describing the life of a church, Paul told Pastor Timothy to treat women with the warm encouragement that he would show to his own mother.
12. John 19:25-27 – Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home
This passage demonstrates Christ’s love and care for his mother, giving us a lesson on how we should treat our mothers.
13. Luke 1:5-6 – His wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commandments and regulations blamelessly.
An often-overlooked passage in Luke provides the picture of a godly woman. She had no children of her own, but she looked forward to seeing the child Jesus.
14. Psalm 113:9 – He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the Lord!
Mother’s Day is difficult for some women who may desire to be a mother, but who face the inability to bear children. In this passage, God describes how he gives women great joy, even those who experience the pain of barrenness.
15. Proverbs 23:22-25 – Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.
Throughout Scripture, children are encouraged to care for their mother and to bring them joy.
16. Proverbs 31:2 8 – Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her.
This classic passage on the “virtuous woman,” provides a beautiful picture of a mother who experiences the joy of her children and husband.
17. Proverbs 6:20-22 – My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching. Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.
A mother’s teaching is to be prized. In this Proverbs passage, instruction from a mother is used as a symbol of a faithful companion all through one’s life.
18. Leviticus 19:3 – Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the LORD your God.
God gives us mother as a gift, and he commands that we revere them, just as we are careful to obey all of God’s commandments.
19. Exodus 20:12 – Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the LORD your God is giving you.
Along with reverence, we are to honor mothers. Whatever our age, whatever our place in life, our mothers always deserve our honor.
20. 2 Timothy 1:5 – I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.
Scripture provides us with this picture of a mother and grandmother who were faithful in both their belief and teaching their children. Their faith was well-known to Paul, as he instructed his protege, Timothy.
21. Proverbs 31:10-12 – A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
22. Matthew 15:4-6 – For God said, ‘Honor your father and mother’ and ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is ‘devoted to God,’ they are not to ‘honor their father or mother’ with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition.
23. Deuteronomy 5:16 – Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
24. Proverbs 1:8-9 – Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
25. Deuteronomy 4:9-10 – Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. 10 Remember the day you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, when he said to me, “Assemble the people before me to hear my words so that they may learn to revere me as long as they live in the land and may teach them to their children.”
26. Hebrews 13:5c-6 – I will never leave you nor forsake you. So we can confidently say, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?’”
27. Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
28. Romans 8:28 – And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
29. Psalm 23:6 – Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
30. Romans 8:38-39 – For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
31. Proverbs 31:25-31 – Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates.
32. 1 Corinthians 13:13 – So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
33. Proverbs 22:6 – Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
34. Luke 18:20 – You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’”
35. Proverbs 11:16 – A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches.
36. 1 Peter 4:8 – Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.
37. Proverbs 24:3 – By wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established
38. Philippians 4:13 – I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
39. Galatians 6:9 – And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
40. Joshua 24:15 – And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Keep these verses in mind as you head towards Mother’s Day. This is a meaningful day for moms, and a wonderful day for everyone to express appreciation and gratitude for them.
Mother’s Day Resources
Beautiful PowerPoint Sets!
Amazing Mother’s Day Videos!
Brilliant Bulletin Templates!
And to get you started, here are some free Mother’s Day Graphics just for you!
To see even MORE FREE Mother’s Day Graphics and Encouraging Bible Verses for your Mom.