Last Updated: March 2020
Easter is less than a week away. Are you ready? I don’t simply mean “ready” in the sense that your bulletin template is prepared and your sermon outline is developed. I mean “ready” in the sense that your heart is prepared to celebrate the greatest event in all of history–the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Here are ten ways that you can prepare your heart this week for Easter Sunday.
Preparing Your Heart for Easter Sunday
- This week, read the resurrection account in each of the gospels, as well as the “resurrection chapter,” 1 Corinthians 15 (Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20).
- Take time to consider at least three ways in which Jesus’ resurrection profoundly affects your life. Write them down. If you need some priming, read through 1 Corinthians 15, Romans 6:5, Philippians 3:10, or 1 Peter 1:3.
- Memorize at least one verse from the list above, or choose another one that deals with Jesus’ resurrection. Meditate upon this verse as you go throughout the week.
- Study the chronology of Jesus’ passion week, and read relevant biblical passages each day of the week. Reflect upon the price that he paid for your sin, the pain, the grief, and the anguish that he experienced.
- Tell someone else about the resurrection and the impact that this doctrine has had on your life.
- Invite one person, perhaps someone who does not know Jesus as Savior, to come with you to your church’s Easter service. You may event want to invite them to your home for dinner afterward.
- Celebrate Easter by giving someone a gift. It can be an Easter basket, flowers, a Christian book or even a new Bible.
- Consider spending a day this week fasting as a specific act of devotion, worship and preparation for Resurrection Sunday. Use the time to meditate on the truth of the resurrection.
- Sing about the resurrection. Find a song about the resurrection that is particularly meaningful and memorize it or sing it each day. You may even wish to sing or listen to the song as part of your personal quiet time or worship.
- Spend a few minutes in prayer each day, simply thanking God for the resurrection.
This Easter can be one of the most spiritually significant times in your life. Allow God to work in your life by engaging in some of these spiritual disciplines.
Additional Easter Church Resources:
- Empower your ministry with Easter Essentials. Grab our free resource pack! It’s brimming with resources for your entire church staff: amazing Easter graphics, a Sunday School lesson, a live streaming guide, volunteer tips, giving scripts, social media strategy, and more! Download now.
- Need some ideas for your Easter children’s church service? Check out these 10 ideas to maximize your kids Easter service. Also, download this free Easter lesson that shares the account of the empty tomb from John 20.
- Your church website is your virtual front door and plenty of new visitors will see it when they search online for churches to attend. Make sure your website is ready with these Easter church website tips that also give you an idea for online giving challenges.
- The Risen Sermon Mini Movie gives a powerful message that is relevant to Easter Sunday. See other Easter Videos.
- Our vast collection of dynamic and engaging Easter church graphics provide a medium for conveying the truth to others.
If you’re not a Sharefaith member, now is the best time to become one with 25% off all annual memberships during our Easter Sale. Sharefaith has over 90,000 sermon & worship media, including over 500 individual Easter media items from Easter sermon PowerPoints, church motion graphics, bulletin covers, church flyers, and newsletters, to social media graphics, worship video loops, website banners, and more! You’ll find everything you need to fully brand your Easter church service, Palm Sunday, Good Friday or Lent for an unbeatable price.