Thanksgiving is much more than a holiday. It should be our attitude every day! Remind your children of the transforming power of thankfulness with these Thanksgiving Sunday School lessons for kids. In each Thanksgiving Bible lessons you’ll find an amazing wealth of resources to teach your children about all they have to be thankful for in Christ, and the importance of gratitude in their daily lives.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer says, “It is only with gratitude that life becomes rich!” Use these Thanksgiving Sunday School lessons to enrich your children’s lives with powerful examples of thanksgiving in the Bible and timely reminders of the importance of a grateful heart. And while you’re here enrich your own heart with the top 10 Thanksgiving Bible verses for Kids and the top 10 Christian quotes about Thankfulness.
Thanksgiving Sunday School Lessons for Kids
2 Chronicles 20 Give Thanks to the Lord Kids Bible Lesson
King Jehoshaphat was a good king who had just been told some terrible news – his kingdom was under attack! Jehoshaphat chose to meet this fear not with sword or spear, but by thanking God for his faithful love. This powerful Sunday School lesson for kids is a great reminder that we always have reason to give God thanks because of his faithfulness.
Download This Thanksgiving Sunday School lesson! If you’re looking for resources to bring life to your Bible lesson this Thanksgiving, then look no further! Sharefaith Kids has built an entire Sunday School lesson around this amazing Bible story in 2 Chronicles 20. It includes a Thanksgiving Bible video, slideshow, activities, and curriculum.
Jesus Gives Thanks: A Thanksgiving Sunday School Lesson from Matthew 11
Throughout his life on earth, Jesus demonstrates thankfulness. While others reject him and do not repent (Matthew 11:25-30), when he cares for others in need (John 6:10-13), when he grieves the loss of a close friend (John 11:40-44), and even in the face of persecution and death (Luke 22:17-19), Jesus is thankful to his Father in Heaven. Jesus knows his Father can be trusted, and he remains thankful in all things. Paul captures this attitude of gratitude when he says, “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
Download This Sunday School lesson! Jesus Gives Thanks is the all-new Thanksgiving Bible lesson from Sharefaith Kids. In this lesson, you’ll find Thanksgiving activities, crafts, games and more! Each resource is built around an engaging Thanksgiving Sunday School curriculum designed to inspire children and empower teachers.
Jesus Heals the Ten Lepers: A Thanksgiving Sunday School from Luke 17
On his way to Jerusalem, Jesus was approached by 10 men with the incurable disease of leprosy. Moved with love and compassion, Jesus healed them all! Surprisingly, only one of the ten lepers (a Samaritan) returned to give Jesus thanks. This amazing Thanksgiving Sunday School lesson is a great reminder of gratitude that should fill our hearts. Are we grateful for all that Christ has done, or have we taken him for granted? Download the 10 Lepers lesson today!
Top 10 Thanksgiving Bible Verses For Kids
If you want some additional inspirational ideas for Thanksgiving Sunday School lessons, check out the following Bible verses. Each one illustrates the importance of gratitude, both during Thanksgiving and always.
- I Chronicles 16:34 • Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Colossians 3:15-17 • And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
- Philippians 4:6 • Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- Psalm 30:12 • That my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever!
- Isaiah 12:4-5 • And you will say in that day: “Give thanks to the Lord, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. “Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be made known in all the earth.
- Hebrews 12:28-29 • Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire.
- Jonah 2:9 • But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving. That which I have vowed I will pay Salvation is from the Lord.”
- 1 Timothy 4:4-5 • But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving. That which I have vowed I will pay Salvation is from the Lord.”
- Psalm 28:7 • The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.
- Psalm 100:4 • Enter His gates with thanksgiving, And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him; bless His name.
Top 10 Christian Quotes about Thankfulness
As you prepare for your Thanksgiving Sunday School lesson and reflect on the importance of gratitude here is a list of the top 10 quotes about thankfulness. These timeless sayings are poignant reminders to reflect upon yourself or share with others.
- “No matter what our circumstances, we can find a reason to be thankful.” –Dr. David Jeremiah
- “If I succeed, I will give thanks. If I fail, I will seek His grace.” –Max Lucado
- “It is only with gratitude that life becomes rich!” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- “God is in control, and therefore in EVERYTHING I can give thanks – not because of the situation but because of the One who directs and rules over it.” –Kay Arthur
- “In happy moments, PRAISE GOD. In difficult moments, SEEK GOD. In quiet moments, WORSHIP GOD. In painful moments, TRUST GOD. Every moment, THANK GOD.” –Rick Warren
- “A thankful heart is one of the primary identifying characteristics of a believer. It stands in stark contrast to pride, selfishness, and worry. And it helps fortify the believer’s trust in the Lord and reliance of His provision, even in the toughest times. No matter how choppy the seas become, a believer’s heart is buoyed by constant praise and gratefulness to the Lord.” –John MacArthur
- “Be thankful. God has commanded it—for our good and for His glory. God’s command to be thankful is not the threatening demand of a tyrant. Rather, it is the invitation of a lifetime—the opportunity to draw near to Him at any moment of the day.” –Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth
- “Gratitude is an offering precious in the sight of God, and it is one that the poorest of us can make and be not poorer but richer for having made it.” –A.W. Tozer
- “It’s one thing to be grateful. It’s another to give thanks. Gratitude is what you feel. Thanksgiving is what you do.” –Tim Keller
- “When we choose thankful prayer over wallowing in anxiety and worry, we are demonstrating an unwavering trust in God.” –Priscilla Shirer
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
If you are looking for additional Thanksgiving Sunday School resources these informative articles should do the trick!
- 15 Important Tips for an Amazing Thanksgiving Service
- 30 Thanksgiving Worship Songs For Your Thanksgiving Worship Service
- Thanksgiving Worship Backgrounds
- Top 8 Tips to Celebrate Thanksgiving Well in Today’s World
- 10 Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving Biblically
Download a free copy of our ebook, The Practical Guide to Recruiting and Retaining Kidmin Volunteers, and put a team in place that can turn today’s kids into tomorrow’s leaders!