Are you looking to increase your church’s online presence? Looking to make sure your church’s info is correct on Google? Adding your church to Google My Business will increase your online traffic, local impact, and assist new visitors to your church by making it easier to find your church’s location. Practically, taking these few simple steps allows your church to show up in Google results, to show your location in Google Maps, and even helps your church come up when a person searches for something vague like “Churches near me”. This article breaks down the steps on how to create a Google My Business account for your church or ministry in 5 easy steps.
If you have an established church, your church most likely already has a listing, and you’ll just need to claim it. Newer churches, church plants or a newer church campus will probably need to be added, but luckily it’s simple.
- First thing’s first, let’s go to Google.com/business
- Click on the big blue button that reads “Get on Google.”
- If you already have a Google or Gmail account for your church, login. If you do not have an account yet, you’ll need to create one.
2. Enter Your Church in the Search Box
- After you have successfully logged in, enter your church name or address in the search box.
- Make sure to enter your zip code or city in the search box, otherwise your church may not come up in the results or other churches with similar names might.
3. Select Your Church
- If your church appears in the suggested matches, go ahead and click on it. If not, Google may have incorrect information on file. If that’s the case, click on the option that says “This does not match” or “Add your Business” and then enter your church’s correct information.
- While entering your information, keep in mind how it will appear across the web. The information you enter will become your default address online. Remember that consistency is important. Provide Google with specific and accurate information so that it will display correctly under search results for your church.
4. Make a G+ Account
After you have found and selected your church, then you will need to confirm your address and create a Google+ account for your church. You don’t necessarily have to keep it updated, but will need to make an account.
5. Hurry Up & Wait
Now that you’ve completed those steps, you just have to wait. Once you have submitted this information, it will take some time, from a few hours to a few days, before Google verifies your church and updates their directory online. For security reasons, Google may need to verify your location via text message, phone call, or even a post card.
Once verified, congratulations! You are now one step closer to local search optimization and increasing your influence in your local community.