Father’s Day is just around the corner! Take time to celebrate your Father and encourage them to pursue characteristics from our heavenly Father. Father’s are under a lot of pressure and go through a lot to provide for their families, leading their wives, being a Father, working, and just being a man. Here are some Bible verses for Father’s Day that will encourage them to keep on fighting the good fight and never give up pursuing the heart of God. There are a lot of amazing stories of men in the Bible that are not all about war, although those stories will fire you up, but David was a lover as well as a fighter in the Bible. Father’s can learn a lot from David and other prominent male characters in the Bible. Hopefully, this list of Bible verses for Father’s Day will encourage your Father to grow and to take on the challenge of being a mighty man of God.
A godly father delights in, loves, corrects, instructs, disciplines, provides for, leads and contributes a legacy to his children. It is for any one or all of these attributes that we honor our courageous fathers. Keep up the good work dads! Here are 10 Bible verses for Father’s Day with 7 Descriptions of a Father:
10 Bible Verses for Father’s Day with Seven Scripture Based Descriptions of a FatherEncouraging Father's Day Bible Verse Complete with Resources Click To Tweet
A Father Leads
1. Proverbs 20:7: “The righteous man walks in his integrity; His children are blessed after him.”
I like the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of integrity which states, “The quality or state of being complete or undivided.” Scripture teaches that the double-minded man is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8). Conversely, the man who is single-minded and confident in the promises of God has clarity of thought and great stability. Being obedient to “one master” (Matthew 6:24) rather than serving two – or three—displays to children the concept of loyalty and obedience. True leadership is having the integrity to practice what you preach and do what you say you will do.
A Father Teaches
2. Proverbs 4:1-2: “Hear, my children, the instruction of a father, and give attention to know understanding; for I give you good doctrine: Do not forsake my law.”
3. Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Being a strong supporter of your child’s formal and informal learning takes a lot of energy and time, but it comes with great reward. Your perspective and God-given insight is important to the overall physical, emotional and spiritual well-being of your child; and no matter how involved you are, good or bad, you will have great impact.
A Father Provides
4. Matthew 7:9-11: “Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!”
Here is yet another parallel between fathers here on earth and our Father in heaven. It is difficult for a child to begin to understand the heart of the heavenly Father without the example of their earthy father. So much is riding on your ability to reflect the Father’s love. “Every experience of the love and blessing of a home on earth can be a ladder by which to rise up and get nearer to the great Father-heart in heaven.” (Murray, Andrew How to Raise Your Children for Christ. Whitaker House, 1997. Print.).
A Father Disciplines and Corrects
5. Proverbs 3:11-12: “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor detest His correction; for whom the Lord loves He corrects, just as a father the son in whom he delights.”
6. II Timothy 3:15-17: “and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Discipline is never fun to administer or receive, but when done patiently, lovingly and consistently it yields good fruit (Hebrews 12:11). If you love your child, you will discipline your child (Proverbs 13:34); but discipline is only effective when you have first laid the foundation of a loving relationship, and shared the bonds of affection, encouragement and joy. First delight in your children, then be willing to correct them with the eye for conforming them to the image of Christ.
A Father Protects
7. Proverbs 14:26: “In the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, and His children will have a place of refuge.”
A healthy respect for God is a form of protection. The fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom and it will take foresight and wisdom to create a safe environment from the snares and hazards of the enemy. A child is safest with a man who loves and fears God.
A Father Loves
8. Psalm 103:13: “As a father pities his children, so the Lord pities those who fear Him.”
Girls that are adored and loved are more likely to develop healthy and positive relationships in adulthood. Boys who are loved are taught how to love and to perpetuate strength that is controlled and careful. Like a shepherd, a father cares for his flock – feeding, protecting, leading, being available and having a watchful eye.
A Father Leaves a Legacy
9. Proverbs 17:6: “Children’s children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father.”
10. 3 John 1:4: “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.”
Decisions made today will affect the future of your child, even if they are made shortsightedly. They will bring you pain or bring you glory. The purpose of parenting is to leave a biblical legacy. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 talks about the legacy of God’s law by exhorting you to first commit wholeheartedly to the commandments of God then repeat them again, and again to your children. You as a father have a distinct and important role in the lives and futures of your little ones.
10 Bonus Father’s Day Bible Verses and Resources
11. Deuteronomy 31:6 – Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.
12. Deuteronomy 20:4 – for the Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.
13. Matthew 11:28 – Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
14. 2 Timothy 1:7 – for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
15. Proverbs 28:1 – The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.
16. Proverbs 24:5-6 – A wise man is full of strength, and a man of knowledge enhances his might, for by wise guidance you can wage your war, and in abundance of counselors there is victory.
17. Ephesians 6:10-13 – Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
18. 1 Timothy 4:8 – for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
19. 1 Thessalonians 2:4 – but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts.
20. 1 Corinthians 15:58 – Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
Our hope is that these Bible Verses for Father’s Day will encourage and lift up the awesome Father’s that we have in our life.
More Resources to compliment your Bible Verses for Father’s Day:
Amazing PowerPoint Sets!
Father’s Day Videos!
Awesome Bulletin Templates!
And to get you started, here are some free Father’s Day Graphics just for you!
Happy Father’s Day!