He Is Risen Easter Sunday School Lesson For Kids
It was an incredible series of events: Jesus was crucified, the sky turned black and the veil in the temple was torn in two. Then, early in the morning, as a new day dawned, two women made their way to the tomb where Jesus had been buried. When they arrived, nothing could have prepared them for what came next. An angel descended from heaven, an earthquake shook the tomb open, and a miraculous declaration was made: “He is not here; he has risen!” The He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson for kids explores the greatest event in all of history – the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. This Matthew 27-28 Easter Sunday School lesson from Sharefaith Kids has assembled a must-have bundle of digital resources that will equip you to teach one of the greatest Bible stories of all time with creativity and confidence!
BONUS: Download your FREE Easter Sunday School Bundle at the end of this article.
The Story of Easter
In the above video, we see the death of Jesus was filled with brutality and humiliation. Jesus was mocked, insulted and injured by those he came to save. But as Hebrews 12:2 teaches us, Jesus endured the cross for the joy that would come after. While everyone else viewed the cross as the ultimate failure, Jesus knew his crucifixion was God’s glorious moment of triumph! Soon others would know it too, when 3 days later, an angel of God declared the incredible: “[Jesus] is not here; he has risen!”
Later, Jesus appeared to his disciples and commissioned them to continue the work he begun while he was among them. These timeless words from Matthew 28:18-20 hold as much meaning for us today as when they were spoken so many years ago:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Teaching Children About the Resurrection of Christ
While your kids may understand that the resurrection was a miraculous event, they may not fully appreciate why it holds such an important place in the Christian faith. Here are 3 key teaching points that you can share from the He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson curriculum.
Why is the resurrection important?
- The resurrection proved Jesus was the Messiah: The resurrection of Jesus proved that the claims He made were true – He was the promised Messiah!
- The resurrection demonstrated Christ’s power over death: The curse was broken. Jesus conquered death!
- The resurrection proved Jesus’ sacrifice was accepted: God accepted the sacrifice of Christ’s death on our behalf. Jesus took the punishment we deserved.
Your He Is Risen Slideshow
With so much rich truth to share in this lesson, there is nothing quite like a vibrant slideshow to help your teaching really connect. Kids are visual learners, so having strong graphics to support your He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson can be fantastic help. In this lesson from Sharefaith Kids, you’ll find the following elements that are not only easy to use, but made to inspire children:
- Q&A Small Group Slides: These thoughtfully put together slides equip your class to have a meaningful discussion about the resurrection of Jesus. Each series of questions has two parts. First, children will be asked a question that helps them remember the story, next they will be asked a question that helps them understand/apply what they’ve learned. In this lesson the first question they will be asked is: What kind of crown did the soldiers press into Jesus’ head? (Crown of thorns). Your class will go deeper with the second question: Why didn’t Jesus defend himself? All questions have a teacher discussion guide so that any leader is fully prepared.
- Artwork Slides: At the center of every Sharefaith Kids lesson is award-winning artwork. We firmly believe that art is one of the very best ways to engage and inspire children. In this slideshow, you will have every piece of original lesson artwork. These illustrations are a great tool to use in class. Have your kids retell the story of the resurrection, using these slides as their guide!
- Big Idea Slide: When your class comes to a close, you want to make sure that you have left your kids with a single idea that they can grab hold of and take home. The Big Idea of this lesson is: Jesus conquered sin and death so that we could have a relationship with God again.
- Memory Verse Slide: God’s Word transforms children from the inside out. As Sunday School teachers, one of the best things we can do is encourage Scripture memorization. In this lesson, your class will memorize Matthew 28:6 “He is not here, for He has risen, as He said. Come, see the place where he lay.”
- Closing Prayer Slide: One of the best ways to respond to any Sunday School lesson is with prayer. With this slide, you’ll be able to guide your class in a heartfelt closing prayer: “Dear Lord, thank you for suffering and dying for us on the cross. Thank you that you rose again victorious! Help us to place our trust in your sacrifice and believe in your resurrection so we can live forever with you. We ask these things in Jesus’ name, Amen.”
Fun Activities That Take Your Teaching to the Next Level!
A key ingredient to any Sunday School lesson is fun! Included in this He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson, are a collection of printable activity handouts that your kids are going to love. Each activity has been carefully designed to educate, inspire and…be just plain fun 🙂
- Coloring Pages: Get ready to unleash your kid’s creativity with these one-of-a-kind printable coloring pages. Featuring hand drawn illustrations and key lesson Scriptures, this Sunday School activity will be a hit with your class.
- Bible Mazes: Your children are going to love guiding the women through each twist and turn of this maze so that they can find the empty tomb! We’ve made sure to include just enough of a challenge to keep it fun.
- Crossword Puzzle: This Bible activity is not only fun, but an incredible learning tool, as well. You’ll love watching your kids flip through the pages of their Bibles to discover the answer to each crossword question!
- Spot the Difference: Kids need silly fun, and this activity makes sure that they get it! Featuring amazing artwork and clever differences, this activity is a classroom favorite. Oh, and if your kids need some help, we’ve made sure you have a convenient answer guide.
- Bible Bookmarks: Help your kids discover the joy of personal Bible study by sending them home with these wonderfully designed Bible Bookmarks. Featuring lesson-specific artwork and Scripture, these bookmarks are a fantastic reminder and make a great compliment to your He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson.
Why This Lesson Matters
The Gospel is God’s good news to all of us, adult and child alike! When we share the story of Jesus’ resurrection with our kids, it’s important to let them know how this good news can transform their lives. Here are four big ideas from the He is Risen Easter Sunday School lesson curriculum:
- We can be confident that we are right with God: Our sin made us enemies of God, but through his great sacrifice, we can become his children.
- We don’t need to be afraid of death: Those who believe in the good news of Jesus will live forever in heaven with God.
- We can be confident in God’s Word: The resurrection shows how many of God’s Old Testament prophecies were fulfilled in Jesus. We can trust Scripture!
- We can be confident in every claim of Jesus: Jesus proved that he is indeed the Son of God by raising from the dead, just as he said he would.
Download this lesson: If you would like to share this amazing Easter Sunday School lesson with your kids you can download the entire lesson bundle here!
Discover The Amazing World Of Sharefaith Kids!
Sharefaith Kids combines kids Bible lessons and Sunday School activities to bring teachers the most amazing, intuitive, and complete Sunday School resource on the planet! With stunning kids Bible videos and Sunday School activities, these Gospel-centered lessons come to life like never before. Sharefaith Kids is volunteer-friendly, kid-focused, Gospel-centered and extremely easy to prepare and teach. We even have a top-notch teacher scheduler and planner available on our Complete plan that takes Sunday School to an entirely new level.
To bring Sharefaith Kids to your Sunday School simply choose the membership plan that fits your needs best:
- Kids Membership Plan (Easter Sale: Save 15%) This amazing plan features 95+ Sunday School lessons that include Sunday School videos, lesson slideshows, curriculum, activities, Bible Quiz videos, and countdown timers! With this plan you’ll also get FREE access to over 80,000 additional church graphics and media with formats in UHD 4K, HD, Photoshop and worship presentation software.
- Complete Membership Plan (Easter Sale: Save 25%) With the Complete Membership you gain access to the ground-breaking Sunday School Scheduler/Planner. This amazing resource allows you to seamlessly integrate your Sharefaith Kids lessons, calendar, teachers and classes all into on easy-to-manage platform. Go Complete and you will also gain access to the entire family of Sharefaith’s award-winning products including: church websites, church app, 80,000 church graphics, online donations/giving and worship presentation software!