Calendars are great tools to keep members informed as to what is going on in the church. Sharefaith has chosen to use Google Calendars as the recommended calendar platform. This tutorial covers how to create a Google Calendar, create an event, and add the calendar to a page.
Reasons for Google Calendar
- Google Calendar makes it easy to edit and create events. Most people already know how to use Google Calendar’s numerous editing features, repeating events, and multiple calendars views at once.
- Google Calendars can be shared and integrated into other people’s calendar. Members can easily add your church calendar to their personal Google calendar.
- Google does not charge for using their calendars on your website. It’s a free tool with no hidden costs.
- Google constantly gives improvements and updates to their Calendar tool, giving you a cutting-edge tool for your church events.
Create a Google Calendar
If you don’t have a Google Calendar, then first, you need to create one.
- Go to Google Calendar.
- Click the “Create an account” button.
- Enter your new account information. Note: Birthday is required. Do not put a date less than 13 years old, as Google has age restrictions.
- Google will send you an email confirmation to the email address you provided during account setup. You must open this email and confirm before continuing.
- Go back to Google Calendar and login if you aren’t logged in already.
- If you aren’t familiar with Google Calendars, then Google has a getting started guide.
Add an Event
- Once logged into your Google Calendar, you can easily add an event by clicking on the date for the event, and typing in the name.
- Click Create event and your event is created!
- If you want more details or if you want to make an event repeat, then click on your new event, and then click “Edit event details.”
- Here, you can edit event times, repetition, location, and description.
Adding your calendar to your website settings
- Under “My calendars,” click the drop drown arrow to reveal Calendar Settings.
- Click “Calendar settings.”
- Choose the “Share this Calendar” tab.
- Check the box, “Make this calendar public.”
- Click “Save” at the bottom.
- A warning will popup. Choose “Yes” that you are sure you want to make the calendar public. If you don’t have a public calendar then it cannot be displayed on a website.
- Select the “Calendar Details” tab.
- Choose “Customize the color, size, and other options” link in the “Embed this Calendar” section.
- We recommend the following settings:
- Title – off
- Navigation buttons – on
- Date – on
- Print icon – off
- Tabs – on
- Calendar list – on
- Time zone – off
- Default View – Month
- Width – 530
- Height – 500
- We also recommend changing your calendar color to match your website, and turning off the US Holidays calendar.
- Now Select all the HTML code above the calendar and Copy it.
- Login to your website Admin.
- Go to “SF Theme Options”
- Under the heading “Change Your Church Social Links Below” there is a textbox labeled “Google Calendar code”. Paste the code you copied from Google into this textbox.
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page.
Adding your calendar to a page
After you added your calendar settings into the control panel, you can now easily add a calendar to any page.
- Edit the page you want to add the calendar to.
- Type the word calendar inside square brackets.
- Your calendar will now show up on your page in place of [calendar]