VBS Programs: Hero HeadQuarters
Today, we come to the third in our series of VBS programs. So far, we’ve seen a VBS theme for ranch hands and an opportunity for pyramid tourists in Egypt. Today, we come to a theme that is fresh, exciting, and sure to inspire.
Title: Hero HeadQuarters
Publisher: Standard Publishing
Standard Publishing has a historic connection with VBS materials. In 1922, they became the first group to publish Vacation Bible School materials.
The storyline and structure of the Vacation Bible School program is built around four fun-loving superhero characters. They are Maintenance Mac, a tool-wielding wonder with a knack for fixing things and helping others. Water Woman is a bit on the timid side, but has amazing abilities when it comes to swimming and other aquatic activities. Pizza Man is overcommitted, way too busy, and a bit on the distracted side, which keeps him from seeing other people’s needs and helping them out. Cooper is a dog, with a rich background in the show business, and a knack for making others laugh.
Theme verse: Timothy 4:12, “Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.”
- Lesson: Heroes do the Unexpected!
- Story: A servant girl speaks up, and God’s power heals Naaman (2 Kings 5:1-14).
- Lesson: Heroes take action!
- Story: Shepherds see baby Jesus and tell everyone about the Savior (Luke 2:1-20).
- Lesson: Heroes step out on faith!
- Story: An army officer goes to Jesus, and Jesus heals his servant (Matthew 8:5-10, 13).
- Lesson: Heroes save the day!
- Story: A boy shares his food, and Jesus feeds more than 5,000 people (Acts 23:12-24).
- Lesson: Heroes stand for truth!
- Story: A young man shows courage, and Paul lives to serve Jesus (Acts 23:12-24).
- The goal of Hero Headquarters is to help kids learn that God’s power in their lives can help them to be heroes. Each lesson provides valuable insights from some of the lesser-known biblical heroes. In fact, for most of those biblical ‘heroes,’ we don’t even know their names.
- Hero Headquarters uses a collection of fresh, upbeat songs, many of which were written specifically for the superhero theme.
- Four hero activities are part of the hero schedule for this VBS program. They are “Amazing Bible Heroes,” which is the time where kids learn an inspiring lesson from God’s Word. “Power Projects” are hero-themed crafts. “Super Snacks”…you know what that is. And “Action Games” is a collection of fun recreation activities, with games fit for heroes.
- Hero HeadQuarters has a very helpful website. Among other things, this website provides decorating ideas, and discussion forums. Even the selection process for obtaining materials is simple and straightforward. Perhaps most helpful is the planning calendar and PDF planbook that is available on the site.
- Beyond the helpful website, Hero Headquarters allows you to build your own customized VBS website. The individual websites provide a means to promote your VBS program
- An online registration management system is another way that Hero Headquarters VBS gives you a great advantage. This automated management system makes it easy for registration, provides an email list, and makes for easier follow-up.
- Hero Headquarters provides an appropriate teaching for young kids, as well as a fun and engaging theme.
- The program teaches some excellent Biblical truths, but does not have a clear salvation theme. The focus is not on evangelism, which may or may not be a disadvantage, depending on the purpose and audience of the VBS program.
- Although anyone can be a hero, not everyone can find an appropriate hero outfit. Finding the right costumes and deco for Hero Headquarters can be either difficult or expensive.
- To get started determining how Hero Headquarters works, you will need to order a starter pack. There are two options. The Starter Kit provides the basic materials needed to launch your VBS planning. It includes the planning DVD, a series of guides for each age group, game instructions, sample toys, and some sample decorations. The cost for the Starter Kit is $69.99.
- The next level up is the Power Pak. It includes everything that the Starter Kit contains, plus a costume kit, theme pack, decoration CD, a collection of posters, and a special DVD called Kid Views. The cost for the Power Pak is $199.99.
- Click here to order.
For more VBS curriculum packages please visit: Christian Ed Warehouse